Friday, February 8, 2008

August 5, 2007

Hello everyone!
Hope you dont mind the mass email......I have
had very sketchy wireless internet service across
the country, so was pretty much unable to send
emails for most of our drive across!

Ken and I are now back in Oregon...we picked up
the RV in Seattle - it was many hours of
looking and talking (the salesman was a talker
with a capital T) - so we didnt actually leave
the RV place til almost 5:30 pm.....and it was
RUSH hour traffic on Route 5, which is the major
highway north/south.....It was great fun learning
how to drive a 24 foot rv in rush hour traffic! I
am sure I almost died of a heart attack at least
twice.
of course, I was alone in the RV for the drive,
because Ken was driving the car....Because we
were so late getting started, we didnt actually
stop for the night until about 11 pm. We were on
the Oregon coast, and stopped at Twin Harbors
State Park. Even with the full moon, I could not
see a darn thing behind me in the mirrors.
Knowing that there were picnic tables , and
sleeping campers all around, I chose to pull in
forward instead of attempting my first backing up
an RV experience in the dark.... Go ahead, laugh
if you must! That meant that we were unable to
plug into the electrical power or the water
supply....hmmmm. Kind of like camping....without
being prepared!
The next days driving was much easier, I started
actually driving over 40 miles an hour (-:
I should have driven the Community Kitchen's box
truck more often obviously! And by the time we
parked for the night, I was ready to put it in
reverse...did I mention we were the only campers
at the campground? It was out of the Deliverance
movie, I swear....however, I backed right in to
the (30 ft wide) spot on the first try.
It was really fun actually....not the backing up,
the night in the RV! Who knew? Cooking dinner in
it was fun, sleeping in it was fun, waking up in
it was fun. I think I will like being a sort of
gypsy for a bit....
Anyway - here we are in Ashland, OR, after
dropping off the RV at Camping World to have an
awning put on, and Wifi service through my
Verizon cell phone acct put in...We have to go
back and get it next Friday.
I have been hanging out with my youngest daughter
Naomi here - this is where she lives. And I met
and babysat for my new grandpuppy, Frankie, who
really is (one of)the cutest puppies on the
planet....I took him for a walk in the park and
he bounds around, then all of a sudden puts his
head down and starts rubbing his forehead in the
grass....very cute. Dont know what kind of dog he
is...but he will be big.
So - while we are here we are moving Ken out of
his apt, moving Naomi out of her apt and into
Kens, and I have met Kens daughters, Taylor,
Morgan and Dylan.
The plan right now is to be back in NH by August
24. On August 25 there is a big party at
Catherine Skoves house in Gilsum, NH. It is a
50th birthday party for Catherine, Kary, Kate and
myself - (how did that happen?)...really it is
just a big party, but we who turn 50 are inviting
all of our friends etc....there is a great bluesy
band playing (Mr Nick and the Blues Mafia - by
another name)and overnight camping will be
available for anyone wanting to stay - I will
send out invites shortly, but wanted to give you
a heads up about the date!
So - I know this was long, and some of you havent
heard from me in a while. But I am well and happy
and even figured out how to send a couple
photos...Love to all!

No comments: